Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Male Privilege Checklist

Check out the 'Male Privilege Checklist' from Alas, A Blog!

Some of my faves from the list are noted below. I also think it's important to mention that the ladies of Yeah, What She Said are not posting this to slam men or anything like that - we love men and realize that the vast majority of men are not cool with sexism and other forms of oppression. However, it's important that all people in positions of privilege (men, Caucasians, etc.) should be aware of their privilege.

Some of my faves from the Male Privilege Checklist:
  • If I fail in my job or career, I can feel sure this won’t be seen as a black mark against my entire sex’s capabilities.
  • If I choose not to have children, my masculinity will not be called into question.
  • If I seek political office, my relationship with my children, or who I hire to take care of them, will probably not be scrutinized by the press.
  • I can be loud with no fear of being called a shrew. I can be aggressive with no fear of being called a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment