Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Woman Auctioning Off Her Virginity

Now this is interesting. Twenty-two year old Natalie Dylan (a Women's Studies graduate, by the way) is auctioning off her virginity. It sounds like a crazy idea, I know, but when you read her justification for doing so, it actually makes a lot of sense.

A couple of the most thought-provoking sentences from her justification are below:

"Like most little girls, I was raised to believe that virginity is a sacred gift a woman should reserve for just the right man. But college taught me that this concept is just a tool to keep the status quo intact...
When I learned this, it became apparent to me that idealized virginity is just a tool to keep women in their place. But then I realized something else: if virginity is considered that valuable, what’s to stop me from benefiting from that? It is mine, after all. And the value of my chastity is one level on which men cannot compete with me. I decided to flip the equation, and turn my virginity into something that allows me to gain power and opportunity from men. I took the ancient notion that a woman’s virginity is priceless and used it as a vehicle for capitalism."

I actually think this is pretty cool. Personally, I am sick of our society thinking that a woman's virginity is sacred and pure. But if men out there want to believe that, then why not capitalize on it and sell it to the highest bidder?
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment