Monday, November 10, 2008

Good Bye to Miriam Makeba (March 4, 1932-November 9, 2008)

It is with great sadness that I inform all of you about the death of Miriam Makeba. The music of Miriam Makeba was a staple in my household as I was growing up; she was also a testament and a symbol of what black - particularly African - women are capable of in terms of contribution to cultural history. She carried the torch for many women of many different backgrounds having endured an era of darkness during the reign of apartheid and gained recognition for both her struggles and her accomplishments throughout her life.

She was one of those icons whose legacy I never thought I would live to see the curtains drawn upon. That being said, may the symbol of what she has meant to so many of us live on in our hearts infinitely.



Miriam Makeba (1932-2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment